Frodo: You’re late.
Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Frodo: What happened, Gandalf? Why didn’t you meet us?
Gandalf: I was…delayed.
My apologies, dedicated blog readers and followers, for my negligence of this blog for the past 2 weeks. Although I wasn’t trapped in Isengard fighting evil adversaries, I have been quite busy living, learning, and breathing rugby. The internet and power outages haven’t helped either, but I can’t blame them – I’ve dropped the ball. It’s harder for me to write comprehensive blog posts than to post a few small updates here and there so as a reminder,
- Here’s our daily academy schedule that I update at least every 2 days
- My Facebook, which has a good stream and collection of photo highlights
- Twitter and Instagram
I’ve been updating each of these more frequently than this blog, especially the “Maties Dailies” page. On the daily schedule spreadsheet I also threw together a list of reffing gigs we’ve had in the past 3 weeks. For me, I’ve officiated 32 match-ups (since they’re not full 80 minute games) in 3 weeks! WOW!!!!! SA has an AMAZING rugby culture.
Since it’s getting pretty late tonight and I have to be awake in less than 8 hours for a morning stadium stairs (“trappe” in Afrikaans) fitness session, I’ll keep it short, but I promise to update more often for the rest of my South African adventure! Perhaps I’ll stick to highlights instead of comprehensive recollections about every single day? Here’s a quick preview:
Week 2 highlights:
- Went to Cape Town, visited the Springbok Museum!
- On-field vision session
- Ran Bergpad (4k mountain trail) in under 20 minutes
- Got a record (among the 5 of us academy refs) on the Micro machine in Vision Lab!
- Fantastic time reffing youth tournament in Durbanville and chatting with the kids
- HYPE FOR SATURDAY
Week 3 highlights:
- 3 day U15s Tournament with best teams in the country
- Reffed 1st club game in Western Province
- Went to the beach
- A lot of improvement in long term shoulder injury (AC joint)
- Collected TONS of data!!! (Film, audio, feedback)
- AR’d SA U20 Junior World Cup team trials
- TV, Rainbows, New friends
- It’s been 1 year as of Sunday April 6th since my very first game as a referee!!
More details to come soon so stay tuned! Here are a few pictures that add a little more flavor to SA than my typical photo of a beautiful pitch and beautiful weather :)